Hello there! If you’ve landed here it’s probably because you want to learn more about me, Kelly Smith, the candidate. Or you clicked the wrong button and before you could click stop the page loaded. Either way, here’s some stuff about me you’ll hopefully find interesting.
The day our adoptions were finalized!
- First and foremost, I believe in love and compassion. I believe we need to return to a time when responsibility meant being responsible to and for your community and not just being responsible to and for yourself. I believe that elected officials are public servants who are responsible for bringing the community together.
- I live in Wesley Chapel with my husband Patrick and our three children. Patrick and I adopted our children through foster care when they were toddlers. Being their mom has taught me how to be a fierce and effective advocate. I am confident that my advocacy and negotiating skills will help me be an effective County Commissioner.
- I have a background in land use and planning having served as the Zoning Administrator for the City of Marco Island for eight years. My professional experience also includes several years as a land planner for a civil engineering firm. I have been an operations coordinator for an international engineering firm specializing in transportation engineering since relocating from Naples in 2008. I am qualified to make sure Pasco County is being led by responsible growth and development decisions.
- I am unapologetically Pro Choice and have been endorsed by VoteProChoice. I believe in the 2nd amendment but am anti NRA and have taken the #NoNRAMoney Pledge. I support Medicare for All and believe Black Lives Matter.
- I recognize that a diverse local job market is essential for the future of Pasco County. I believe in the power of unions. I believe in a living wage because no one working full time should be living in poverty. I will propose a minimum $15 per hour wage for Pasco County employees to set the example for employers in Pasco County.
- I believe in science. Climate change is real and we have a moral obligation to preserve our natural resources for future generations. I pledge to support the Florida Environmental Bill of Rights.
- My maiden name was also Smith. No, my husband and I aren’t related.
- Our family has 3 cats (Nittany, Frixy and Sir Walter Fluffykins III) and 2 dogs (Penny and Phoebe). It’s no secret that Phoebe, a rescue, is my favorite even though she’s basically a toddler with fur.
- Leslie Knope, the lead character played by Amy Poehler in the TV show Parks & Recreation, is my spirit animal. I also share her love for waffles and breakfast foods.
Thank you for learning more about me and I hope I can count on your vote in November!